Making things up for Kuino Okawara's Fullmetal Ghost


I know, it has been a while since I've posted about what I've been up to writing wise. I have been busy working away on a very cool project that I couldn't really talk about, until now. If the image above wasn't enough of a clue, I've been working on a story for FullMetal Ghost! 

FullMetal Ghost Issue One Cover by Jessie Lam!

A while back Kim Fung Wong of Threezero (Hong Kong) Ltd. invited me to develop an original story and script a comic book for Kuino Okawara's first personal toy project, FullMetal Ghost! I was asked during a meeting with Threezero and Bandai Namco Asia Company Ltd. if I wanted to do it.

Let's be honest here, who would say no to making up a story about giant robot samurai and ninjas? The little boy in me who watched way too much Gaiking, Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Voltron and other awesome mecha anime had his little scrawny arms in the air and replied with the biggest goofy smile on his face, "when do I start?".

First photo right after the first meeting!
These guys are 1/6 scale (18 inches tall),
weighing 40 lbs!
For those not familiar with who Kuino Okawara is, he is the mechanical designer mastermind of Mobile Suit Gundam and the following generations of Gundams as well! 

Taken at Threezero office during a production meeting.

The 1/6 scale samurai and ninja 
pilots actually fit in the cockpit!


FullMetal Ghost is a cross production between Bandai Namco Asia Company Ltd. and Threezero (Hong Kong) Ltd., resulting in a new brand called B/3 (Be Three). Due to this I got to work with amazing people, including Bandai's Head of Creative Direction of Asia and the Head Designer from Threezero. Kuino Okawara gave invaluable input and wowed us with his hand sketches for mech designs for the current and future additions to the FullMetal Ghost toy line. 







































I helped to search for an artist for the comic, which led us to Jessie Lam. Her amazing digital painted art style was perfect for the comic! Just look at the cover posted above to see for yourself! 


It's all in the details! There's so much to look at
from the various nuts and bolts, LED lit cockpit and
eyes, weathering to the 100 points of articulation!
The first issue of FullMetal Ghost was launched at Ani-Com and Games Hong Kong this past July, where a bunch of lucky attendees got a free copy! Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the show, but I heard that the response was incredible! 

The first issue of the comic comes exclusive with a purchase of FullMetal Ghost figures. So for those who've been asking where you can get a copy, now you know.


Here are some photos taken by friends of the incredible Threezero display had at the show! I was floored to see that they made a diorama based on a battle scene from the comic!

No one mentioned to me that they we blowing up the preview pages from the comic for the display! Oh, if you're wondering what was playing on that giant screen, keep scrolling and you'll see!

The hero of our story.






This fella is going to play an interesting role in the next issue where he'll be...sorry,
can't talk about that right now.



I got to see the prototype of what is now called Shadow Blade and his assortment of weaponry. Just love seeing the process for these things come together.






So what was playing on that screen at the show?

Oh, just a little FullMetal Ghost action.



Comments